Women's Empowerment Principles
Equality Means Business (WEPs)
The theme of BPW's 28th International Congress in 2014 was EMPOWERED WOMEN LEADING BUSINESS and we are working to encourage male and female CEOs around the world to sign a commitment to apply the Women's Empowerment Principles to every aspect of their company development: http://weprinciples.unglobalcompact.org/Site/CeoStatement/
Speaking at BPW's 27th International Congress in 2011, Georg Kell, Executive Director of UN Global Compact confimed that having worked closely with UN Global Compact, BPW was one of the first NGOs to recognise the value of the Women's Empowerment Principles - Equality Means Business.
The Principles are 7 steps for companies to take, to empower women in the workplace and the market place. They were launched by the United Nations Development Fund For Women (UNIFEM, part of UN Women) and the United Nations Global Compact on 8 March 2010 - International Women's Day.
The Women’s Empowerment Principles (WEPs) are subtitled Equality Means Business because the full participation of women benefits business. By signing the Statement of Support, CEOs will demonstrate leadership on gender equality and women’s empowerment and encourage fellow business leaders to do the same.
There are currently
The 7 WEPs are:
1. Establish high-level corporate leadership for gender equality.
2. Treat all women and men fairly at work – respect and support human rights and non discrimination.
3. Ensure the health, safety and well-being of all women and men workers
4. Promote education, training and professional development for women.
5. Implement enterprise development, supply chain and marketing practices that empower women.
6. Promote equality through community initiatives and advocacy.
7. Measure and publicly report on progress to achieve gender equality.
ACTION: Does your company adhere to these Principles? Contact us to find out what to do about it!
For more information download this: Women Empowerment Principles - Booklet.pdf
These Principles underpin our new Corporate Membership category for BPW UK - more details to follow soon.
For more information about what's happening around the world, see the BPW International Site.
Visit the UN Site.